Restaurant Review: Writer's Café, Chennai

So I have been to several outlets of Writer's Café at Chennai. I have dined there several times and I have tried a range of their dishes and so I think I will be able to do an elaborate and rather honest review of some of the dishes.

Flammkuchen

So this is a pizza like thing and this is what attracted me to Writer's Café in the first place. So one of my sisters had her friends come over to our house for a birthday celebration and I saw long cardboard boxes with a drawing of Shakespeare. And I thought I am gonna try this place. Got to know from my mum that it was Writer's Café and went there and tried the flammkuchen amongst other things. After that, I have tried flammkuchen several times and have loved it almost every time. So flammkuchen is this thin, soft and rectangular shaped pizza with sauce, cheese and toppings. You can choose your own sauce, cheese and toppings. So my go-to is mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, jalapenos, corn and olives. This one time, we ordered the same but instead of tomato sauce, we chose a white sauce which was very spicy and spoiled the experience for us. And this other time, I got the flammkuchen through Swiggy or Zomato and it was very cold and rather unenjoyable. Other than these two times, I have had a pleasant experience with flammkuchens. 




Pasta

So once we tried the pink sauce pasta. Here too you can choose the shape of pasta, the sauce and the veggies or meat. So we chose pink sauce, tomatoes, cheese and penne pasta. It was not up to our expectations. The portion size was small, the pasta took forever to get prepared and it was not pink! We had thought of eating all pink foods since we had just watched the Barbie movie but alas we could not!
Another time, I tried their Spaghetti Chicken Bolognese and it was also not that good, it was too liquid-y and soupy, I was expecting more of a dry kind of pasta. Also, I could taste the cheese separately from the pasta, what I am trying to say is - it was not blended into the pasta very properly, the cheese felt disintegrated. The combination of cheese and chicken also did not sit very well with the pasta. Yet another time, we tried the veg lasagna and it was also not that very great, it felt like not much effort had been put into preparing it. The top layer had cheese slices and then there was a layer of vegetables including zucchini, corn and some other veggies. It was not very flavorful.





Fish Fingers

These were very jelly-ish. It felt like they were not cooked properly. They still had kind of a rawness to them. I was scared that I would get sick but thankfully I did not.


Desserts

So we have tried the biscoff caramel cheesecake and the biscoff biscuit on top was soggy and not crunchy. The cheesecake also did not have a smooth consistency, it felt like I was eating some kind of fungi or something. The caramel part was also not very sweet. We also tried a croissant but we did the mistake choosing a plain croissant, we should have probably gone for their almond croissant. Because the plain croissant was very, well plain. It was dry, not that soft and empty. It was not even buttery or smooth. We even tried the caramel glazed donut and this one was just too sweet. 


Beverages

So I tried the musambi chiller and hated it. It felt like drinking a carbonated drink like Pepsi or coke. I was under the assumption that it was going to be plain sweet lime juice but it was not. We once tried the Writer's Café Special Hot Chocolate and it was great. It was served with a cookie and some cream. But the hot chocolate was the best part. Another time, we got the mocha and it was not sweet no matter how much sugar was added. 



Breakfast

So we tried the pancake with nutella and I must say the pancake was on point. It was soft and like cake. Truly amazing!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restaurants That I Ate At Recently (Part 5)

Books I Have Been Reading Recently (Part 10)

Five Most Patriotic Movies on Amazon Prime Video India Right Now